Teaching Expressing Possibility and Impossibility
We may ever confuse to find the other way in teaching English Expression, because both we (teachers) and students have been bored with teaching in the same technique. Most of us think for teaching expressing with Role Play and pairs dialogue Performance But we often don't have enough time to make all the students perform.
now we have a question, do we have other way to teach it? and the answer is yes. the technique is student interview students or find someone who. I have approved this way and it worked well as my students enjoy my class and understand to use the expression in real condition without any scenario.
Here are the steps of teaching expressing possibility and impossibility using cooperative teaching model (find someone who). I hope it will make your students enjoy in learning communicatively!
- The teacher shows the picture as the trigger and asks the students about the words relate to the picture.
- the teacher asks the students about the possible and impossible thing relate to the pictures using Yes/No question.
- the teacher explain and discuss about some sentences using expressing possibility and impossibility.
- The students are given a form** contain some question about something possible and impossible and ask it to theirs friend,
- The students write their friends’ name who say ‘yes’ in answering the question
- The students may ask their friend more than one question and one question may ask to more than one friend.
- After they get some answer (name who say ‘yes’. they back to their table and the teacher divides them into some group of 5
- The student Collect all the answer and calculate it. if there are the same name they only take one
- After the answer is calculated and convert the number be percent (%)
- then it will be present in a diagram or chart after that the student will make a report based on the data.
- The students report the survey result in front of the class
- The teacher asks the student to write their question about what is possible and impossible at English corner and give comment on their friends’ question.
- Guide the students for make conclusion.
**example of question form;
- Is it possible for Jokowi make Indonesia be better?
- Is it possible for someone stop smoking?
- Is there any possibility for us reduce global warming?
- Is there any possibility for us stop using vehicle?
Have a Nice Teaching!!
By; Endang S., S.Pd.